Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ye Gods, or not Ye Gods

The entire Ye Gods powerpoint deal was pretty interesting. With some good hints of hilarity, as well. Perhaps the most interesting thing presented in it was the slow shrinkage of Gods/deities in society. It seemed to make sense, honestly. Conflicting arguments cannot continue to exist forever, so it is only natural that they would find a way to resolve themselves. It reminds me of these Vonage commercials, someday someone will crush Vonage for making stupid commercials. I'm not sure if that metaphor follows correctly, but my hatred for Vonage at this moment prevents me from making sense.

I digress. This continual shrinkage and increased vagueness of gods and deities makes me wonder what the religious realm of tomorrow will look like. The hardcore religions that are strictly by the book just simply cannot exist in the world of tomorrow. At least, that is the way I see it. I think people will continue to look toward books and scriptures for moral advice and perhaps some consoling, but strict interpretation of most religious books just does not seem possible to me. Especially with the information age shaping up as it has been. That and liberals!

It makes me think that tomorrow's deities will just be strict moral/ideological examples. And I think that people will acknowledge that they are just examples. With the way things are going now, I'm sure Paris Hilton will be the "devil" figure to tomorrow's religion. I don't have anything to back that claim, but when I think religion, I think of everything besides Paris Hilton. Maybe Jesus will get a cool makeover. Maybe even the return of Black Jesus? Chances are other religions will ruin it though.

Now that I think of it, it would be cool to organize a religion of my own. It would be pretty hard, as the Ye Gods thing pointed out. Getting an entire society to find my creation the moral and/or ideological perfection and all that jazz. A pure-bred, so to speak. My pure-bred moral creature would have to look like Frankenstein. He's a pretty misunderstood guy, but I would definitely worship a gigantic freak who could rip me in half...using one arm. Imagine if you got a lot of people worshipping that! The sheer holy power would make Vonage disappear!

I can dream, can't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home